The Varta Guide is an independent hotel and restaurant guide for Germany published since 1957. It is published annually in October.
The hotels and restaurants in Germany are classified with 1 to 5 diamonds. In addition, the so-called Varta Tip is awarded for exceptional performance in the categories cuisine, service and ambience.
- five Varta diamonds: Luxurious flair, first-class service and exceptional kitchen performance
- four Varta diamonds: High quality and creative dishes, exquisite wine selection, elaborate restaurant equipment
- three Varta diamonds: Stylish table culture, high-quality ambience as well as excellent food and drink
- two Varta-diamonds: very good cuisine, friendly service, cultivated frame
- a Varta diamond: above average offer, friendly atmosphere